On Monday, 12/10/2001 at 11:02 EST, Nick Gimbrone
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The MTU sizes on both sides of the CTC connection must match.  Make
both
> > sides 32768 or something.  (VTAM CTC connections have the same issues!
If
> > the buffer sizes don't match you get truncated PIUs...)  This is the
nature
> > of the CTC hardware (virtual or real).
> No, it is in the nature of the drivers that they are not constructed such
that
> they automatically "discover" the other side's MTU. Such software could
be
> written, and it should be written... and then this configuration pitfall
would
> be long gone (as it should be).

MTU discovery is not the issue.  At this point we're talking about
physically moving data in/out of the device.  There is no information in
the I/O interrupt about how many bytes need to be read, and it is often the
case that there is simply a read outstanding of 'n' bytes.  The LCS and
QDIO network-oriented protocols don't have a problem -- they're smart
devices.  But the CTC is just a data "repeater".  Both sides must
administratively agree on the maximum data length.  If they don't, a short
read results in data loss (the CTC doesn't hang onto data that wasn't read
the first time 'round.)

It would have been better if the TCP/IP CTC protocol included an exchange
of buffer sizes using a pre-defined small I/O buffer.  But it didn't and
that's the way the ball bounces.  (The restriction being that the MTU would
be forced to be less than the I/O buffer size.)

Regards,
Alan

Senior Software Engineer
z/VM, TCP/IP, VIF, and Linux for zSeries Development,     Endicott, NY
Phone  607.752.6027    fax 607.752.1497     t/l 852