>> I am making the (possibly incorrect) assumption that you have ensured
that
>> the
>> LPAR has only necessary devices online, and in particular no 3174s or
like
>> (as
>> per previous posts).
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Vic Cross
>>

>hmmm..yes I do have other devices accessible to this lpar (like 3174s),
but
>that's always been
>the case in the past and did not interfere with linux ipls??????

>Dave

Dave,

I had one Linux LPAR (9672T26 LPAR mode) that used to give me fits.  I
saw similar symptoms:  IPL load complete, SAD activity,  but no console
messages.  Once I went to lunch and came back to find there were
messages after nearly an hour of 'blank console'.  This was pre IFL and
the LPAR had small weight values, but still!!  I trimmed down the 'GEN'
to eliminate all of the unnecessary channels and devices and retained
only the absolute essentials and that made all the difference in the
world.  Messages started coming back to the console in seconds.
(Alternately, you could just "CONFIG OFF" the unnecessary stuff via
HCM).  YMMV.

Good luck,
Paul