ARP uses an Ethernet broadcast.  This is very different from an IP broadcast.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Adams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 5:37 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Another z/VM Linux Guests using Hipersockets Question

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 17:52, you wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 05:37:08PM -0600, Ketchens, LeMarr T. (RyTull)
>
> wrote:
> > For some reason, we can not get our HiperSockets to work.  We are trying
> > to use virtual hipersockets, but I was wondering if it would be better to
> > use actual Physical HiperSockets.  I really need some help.  From
> > examples within the PROFILE TCPIP (DEVICE & LINK, HOME and GATEWAY) to
> > the IFCONFIGs used to define the hipersockets to z/VM and to the Linux
> > Guest. Here's how we are setup.  We are running z/VM 4.3.0 in an IFL on a
> > z/800 box.  We have OSA-E Gigabit Ethernet at our disposal.  We have z/VM
> > up and running with with 2 Linux Guests (SuSE 2.4.7).  The two guests are
> > ip connected via virtual CTCs.  We would like to get the HiperSockets
> > working (virtual or physical).  To get to the outside world we also have
> > a Cisco Router, if that matters.  At this point, I would appreciate any
> > insight into correcting this problem.  Thanks
>
> Apply all the service from SuSE.  The initial SLES 7 didn't work with
> virtual HiperSockets, but after enough patches you get both a kernel and
> drivers that will drive them just fine.
>
> Adam

We have not gotten to the point of implementing Hipersockets yet but we are
planning to. In reading about them, I ran into a list of "will not do's". In
that list was IP broadcast traffic, an ARP requirement. Is this still the
case? If not, can someone please tell me the appropriate redbook(s) to read
up on?

Thanks in advance folks,

Steve