On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:27:53 -0800, Fargusson.Alan wrote:

>One of the results of the way Linux is developed is that old hardware tends
>to work better than new hardware.  Try knoppix on a new notebook and it is
>less likely to work.

I'll try that - we have a fairly new compaq. Although my impression has
been that (most) manufacturers are very good at working with eg. the
kernel-developers.

I've just tried a Fujitsu-Siemens ready-made Intel system - no probs whatsoever.
Granted, this is probably a 100% standard system (and certainly not a laptop), so ...

>At some point I will probably put a second drive in my Dell and try Linux again.
>I probably will not try to download a version though.  I don't have a CD writer
>at work, and I don't have broadband at home.  I estimate it would take about
>60 hours to download one CD worth of data at home, and I doubt that my dialup
>would stay connected that long.

You could try using 'wget -r' - even with interruptions, that tends to work fine.
That's what I used before we got ADSL a couple of months ago. Uh, wait - maybe
try a download manager for MSIE or Netscape ? I don't know if you wget exists
for Windows or Mac.

The c't CDROM is 688M, but also has openoffice, mozilla and probably lots of
other stuff included.

/Per

regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich