> One of the results of the way Linux is developed is that old hardware tends t
> o work better than new hardware.  Try knoppix on a new notebook and it is les
> s likely to work.
>
> At some point I will probably put a second drive in my Dell and try Linux aga
> in.  I probably will not try to download a version though.  I don't have a CD
>  writer at work, and I don't have broadband at home.  I estimate it would tak
> e about 60 hours to download one CD worth of data at home, and I doubt that m
> y dialup would stay connected that long.

I have downloaded several releases of RHL through my modem. It's feasible - you
use an ftp client (or better, rsync) that can restart.

As you note, it takes time.

A good alternative is to download just the packages you need and lay them out in
the proper structure, and install from hard disk.

If you're looking at Red Hat Linux 7.3, I can give you a minimal list of
packages that should get you to a commandline system. I have a basic system
(admittedly not created with Red Hat's installer) which runs to less then 110
Mbytes last I counted it.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
        be right!