One more post - you don't need CLASSPATH at all.
It ended up the tomcat doc I was using was old and the example in it was for a
SUN  JRE.
I had JAVA_HOME  set to /opt/IBMJava2-s390-14/jre
Should be /opt/IBMJava2-s390-14
To use SDK not JRE

By the way we installed the RSD product under LINUX/390 with tomcat, under USS
with Webshere, and under Intel Suse Linux with tomcat.
I am glad to report the customer liked the performance under LINUX/390 best.
The vendor recommended 1 GIG memory for intel. 256M seemed fine on 390. I did
bump it to 512M but there wasn't a huge gain. We have not done any tuning yet.
I will be installing net-snmp and will see what ESATCP has to say about memory
and other things
The customer came to my desk because there were some permissions required for
users to save customized settings. That's when I bumped storage to 512M for him
and brought the guest down and up. His comment was 'It's that easy?' I guess he
thought mainframe linux would be complicated.
I am curious how much virtual storage other people have given to virtual
machines running tomcat.