On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 07:48:45PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2003, Marist EDU wrote:
>
> > Thanks to all who responded.  On my original problem I stated I was having
> > problems installing the glib-config and pkg-config sources on SLES7.  Once I
> > RTFM for the 10th time I figured out that these packages are just driver
> > packages for the non-post-script printers.  With that in mind I went after
> > the post-scirpt printers first and got those working.
> >
> > Very Important safety tip on Print Servers, make sure the users have rights
> > to write to the spool directory and it EXISTS.  haha.
> >
> > John, you mentioned that gs might not be a good fit for 390, can you please
> > elaborate on that?
>
> Ghostscript requires lots of CPU power to interpret postscript which,
> after all, is an interpreted language.

But since we're talking about postscript printers, ghostscript rendering
won't be needed with them, right? Let the printers do the rendering.

> Best to have your client machines deliver to the print server whatever
> your printers expect. IA32 MIPs are cheap, and odds are you don't use ten
> percent of them.

Yes, but don't forget that this increases the network load. It may also
reduce the quality.

Though windows' postscript driver is a really bad one.

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+