On Wed, 28 May 2003 02:09, you wrote:
> > > John, you mentioned that gs might not be a good fit for 390, can you
> > > please elaborate on that?
> >
> > Ghostscript requires lots of CPU power to interpret postscript which,
> > after all, is an interpreted language.
>
> But since we're talking about postscript printers, ghostscript rendering
> won't be needed with them, right? Let the printers do the rendering.

I was asked about gs. I don't understand why you'd use gs with postscript
printers, unless you had a really old one and really wanted to send it a
newer level of ps.

> > Best to have your client machines deliver to the print server whatever
> > your printers expect. IA32 MIPs are cheap, and odds are you don't use ten
> > percent of them.
>
> Yes, but don't forget that this increases the network load. It may also
> reduce the quality.

How does it increase network load? What's the difference between sending ps to
a printer and sending it to a cheap PC sitting under it?

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/