From: Phil Payne [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 4:05 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SCO ups the ante (this is getting interesting)

> It occurs to me that I may have been wrong when I speculated that SCO
wants to be bought by
IBM.  I am starting to think that SCO just wants IBM to support AIX (and pay
more royalties).
It sounds a lot like IBM is planning to drop AIX, which would hurt SCO.

IBM has described its UNIX license as "fully paid up" - sounds like a lump
sum deal.

What they would REALLY like are license revenues from IBM's Linux
operations.  Of course, IBM
doesn't actually _distribute_ Linux itself.

The comments made by and about Linus Torvalds regarding the difficulty of
ensuring that
contributed code is free of IP restrictions highlight this.  I wonder if
this explains why IBM
stayed out of the distribution business?

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.com