> Just looked over it now. Very very nice, I think I'll make
> good use of it, thank you.

Glad to hear it.  It's always good to know something you did was useful to
someone.

> It's funny, Unix people say (think it was Kernighan or
> Ritchie who said it first) that this is a spartan operating
> system, that commands, directory, variable names are supposed
> to be short and concise (thus the vowel shortage abundance :)
> ), but I discovered mainframe hackers' code (be it my MVS
> colleague's JCL or the shell code you submitted) is a lot
> more spartan when it comes to designating objects. Makes
> sense. You mainframe guys were already doing this way before
> I was even born, when assembly was high-level and every bit count.
>
> Guess you are the original hackers :)

HAHAHAHA.  There's not much you can do with 8 bytes.  I haven't a clue why
(there HAD to be a reason), but many names (member names, logons, ...) were
limited to 8 bytes, so we were kind of forced to be creative.  Actually, now
that I think about it, didn't the Unices start out that way too?

But, I did get a little carried away with that script...  ;-)

Leland