On Wednesday, 10/29/2003 at 08:43 PST, Jim Sibley
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So, rather grousing about bogomips, what standard
> measure do you have that can measure the relative
> speed of the processors!

I keep trying to say that the speed of the processor is not the measure.
It is the throughput of the workload that you are running that is
important.  If your application is I/O bound, faster processors just mean
you have more free time to wait for the I/O to complete.  On the other
hand, if you have more than one process/virtual machine/lpar, it means you
can get more work done while waiting for the I/O to complete. (Assumption:
 I/O wait is independent of processor speed.)

Of course, OSA and FCP QDIO (DMA) changes that picture a bit since all of
a sudden the amount of data moving in/out is proportional to the CPU's
ability to process the queues.  Or is it?  What if I have two CPUs
operating a single DMA queue?  Three CPUs?  Gaaack!

#include <LSPR.txt>

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development