Yesterday I was trying to expand an existing LVM filesystem and it
appeared ok after I issued the resize2fs command but after I rebooted
the Linux instance the filesystem was mounted but it was not the correct
file system.  It appears LVM got the expanded file system confused with
another file system.  In trying to correct this problem I think I
corrupted another file system.  When I issue a vgdisplay command I get
the following:

vgdisplay -- ERROR: VGDA in kernel and lvmtab are NOT consistent;
please run vgscan

I ran vgscan but it didn't help.   I found what appeared to be backups
of volume group information in /etc/lvmconf directory.   Is there a way
to recover the LVM to a previous state or recover the volume group info?

We are SLES 7 with the 2.4.7 kernel.