MIB=Management Information Base.  That's the tree structure of elements SNMP provides.

An OID (Object Identifier) is a particular element in the tree.  It has a number like
.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9.1.101 that defines it's place in the tree.  Many (but not all)
also have names, like
system.sysDescr.0, and system.sysUpTime.0

The O'Rielly book "Essential SNMP" gives a pretty good overview of how SNMP works.

The nagios plugin "check_snmp" calls a program calles snmpget to retrieve single
element values and checks them against provided limits.  If you want to do anything
fancy (like retrieve related
name/value pairs in corresponding branches), you need to write a script that uses
snmpget.