> You mean such as these files on Intel Linux?
> /etc/devfsd.conf
> /etc/fstab
> /etc/ioctl
> /etc/modules.conf
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep

Yeah, sure.   Those are good examples.
Of the lot,  only the first would be read from kernel space,
and that I'm not sure of either.   Certainly /etc/fstab,
/etc/modules.conf, and /lib/modules/*/modules.dep are all handled
by user space programs,  with privs,  making system calls.
They are NOT read by the kernel itself.

So the example set you give supports my argument:
Don't poke holes in that wall between user and kernel.

Poking holes, making special arrangements, having exceptions,
sounds a lot like Microsoft methodology to me.

-- R;