Yeah. But still i want to show some value which represents the CPU capacity configuration of the machine.
Does /proc/sysinfo throw any useful information  ?

James Melin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

08/24/04 06:41 PM

Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc
Subject
Re: Linux390 LPAR - CPU info

What type of application are you making that cares so much about CPU speed?
MIPS. Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed. There are architectureal
differences between z/series and intel that add a great deal of fuzz to
those numbers, especially in an I/O intensive application.

            Taraka Srinivas
            Kumar
            <taraka.srinivas@                                          To
            tcs.com>                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            Sent by: Linux on                                          cc
            390 Port
            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
            IST.EDU>                  Re: Linux390 LPAR - CPU info

            08/24/2004 04:42
            AM

            Please respond to
            Linux on 390 Port
            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                IST.EDU>

Hi,

>>Is there some reason what that number is important to you?  I've been
doing
>>working with Linux/390 for 4 years now, and I've never much cared.
>>Depending on what processor type (G5, G6, z990, etc.), it is somewhere in
>>the range of 200MHz to 700Mhz, if all you're interested in is clock
speed.
>>IBM publishes MSU ratings for their various processor types, if you're
>>interested in that.

In this case, i am having an application which takes CPU speed from
/proc/cpuinfo and displays it on the screen. This application has been
developed on Intel Linux where it is very easy to get the CPU speed in MHz.
Now, i am trying to port the same application to Linux on zSeries. As you
know, /proc/cpuinfo remains to be one of the major porting issues for
porting applications to Linux on mainframe (Since the format has changed).

I am trying to find out other ways of getting this particular MIPS
information with in Linux so that my application can access the same and
print it on the screen.

Can further investigation into VMSTAT, TOP outputs help in getting the CPU
speed information ?

All inputs and ideas are welcome.

Regards,
Srinivas.

"Post, Mark K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                                              To
                                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                        ST.EDU
08/23/04 11:26 PM                                                      cc

                                                                  Subject
             Please respond to                          Re: Linux390 LPAR
             Linux on 390 Port                          - CPU info
         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>