On Tuesday, 08/24/2004 at 07:35ZE5B, Taraka Srinivas Kumar
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yeah. But still i want to show some value which represents the CPU
capacity
> configuration of the machine.
> Does /proc/sysinfo throw any useful information  ?

Irrelevant.  The CPU capacity of the machine may or may not be available
for use by a virtual machine.  There are settings (LPAR "weights" and z/VM
"shares") that affect how much of the physical capacity *may* be used.
While it is possible to dedicate ALL of the resources the mainframe has to
a single Linux image, no one will, so trying to calculate the ratio of
"used" to "theoretical maximum" is also meaningless.

Given a shared environment, the amount of available CPU is affected by
what other LPARs and virtual machines are doing, there is no meaningful
calculation that you can make.  You might show an "effective" rate of
300MHz one instant and 1GHz the next (just examples).    A single virtual
machine is simply unaware (by design) of the larger picture.

To complicate things further, the CPU is not the only workhorse on a
mainframe.  The I/O subsystem has its own processors that handle moving
data between memory and the devices.  The clock rate of the CPU does not
give an accurate picture of how much work is flowing through the box.

If people just wanted to use MHz numbers to compare raw clock rates or to
decide whether to have Wendy's (even) or McDonald's (odd) for lunch, there
wouldn't be an issue. But, alas, people use the clock rate as a mystical
prognosticator of system performance.  (I recommend you don't use bogomips
to do retirement planning, either.)  :-)

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development