Do you add this to the file /boot/zipl/parmfile and the run the zipl command and
reboot.
-Cameron Seader

-----Original Message-----
From: Malcolm Beattie [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 15:12
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VM Shutdown

Post, Mark K writes:
> Depending on what version of z/VM and Linux you're running, updating
> /etc/inittab to have something like this:
> # What to do at the "Three Finger Salute".
> ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t5 -r now

Change that "-r" (meaning "reboot") into "-h" (meaning "halt")
so that the SIGNAL SHUTDOWN magic described elsewhere in this
thread behaves as expected. For cleanliness, it's also good to
include "vmpoff=LOGOFF" into the kernel parmline so that when the
guest finishes shutting down and does a "halt -p" (a "power-off"
halt), the kernel will do a "CP LOGOFF". This logs the guest off;
CP then knows that the guest has finished its signal shutdown
processing cleanly and will log a nice message to say so.

[The vmpoff assumes that your distribution uses a "halt -p" in its
shutdown scripts, as SLES does. If your distribution ends up doing
a "halt" without the -p then the relevant parmline addition would
be "vmhalt=LOGOFF". I usually add both...belt and braces.]

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux Technical Consultant

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the
information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and
destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank
you. A1.