OOPS dropped off the trailing "s"...

I believe the command is:

echo -n "add device range=491" >> /proc/dasd/devices

-----------------------------------
Jeremy Warren
Sr. Systems Programmer
KB Toy Stores
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]@kbtoys.com

"Nix, Robert P." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
12/09/2004 08:59 AM
Please respond to Linux on 390 Port

        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cc:
        Subject:        [LINUX-390] Dynamically adding DASD...

I'm missing some minor key point in this process...

I allocated a new minidisk for a Linux image (SuSE SLES 8), and linked it
into the virtual machine. I've tried CMS formatting it and not formatting
it, and it appears to have the same problem. I go to /proc/dasd, and issue
the command
"echo "add devices range=491" > devices. Then I type "cat devices" and
where I expected to see the new device is a line such as:

None(none) at ( 94: 24) is dasdg (ro): unknown

If I now add the device into zipl, and restart the image, the disk will be
there w/ no problems. What am I doing wrong in the dynamic allocation?

--
Robert P. Nix                 507-284-0844
Mayo Foundation