Mark,

The FAQ's I'm referring to are those that I could find when I was deciding
on which freely available distribution of Linux to install. Here are those
URL's both of which don't include Fedora Core Dev (one goes to a huge IBM
pdf file): http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/pubs/pdfs/redbooks/sg246264.pdf and
http://www.cbttape.org/linux390.htm. The install went flawlessly. Fedora
Core Development is running as its own VM instance on our z800 series IBM
mainframe. Since the install, the mainframe has been brought down once for
maintenance and then brought up again, Linux restarting and all of the
services I have running restarted without a hitch. I've installed Apache
2.0.52, MySQL 4.1 and PHP 5.0.3 as well, all working well. The Linux kernel
is 2.6.10-1.1109_FC4. I have SELinux set to the permissive mode. Here's a
link to my apache's splash page - http://lnn0203.nebraska.edu/

Why is this so unusual to be running? I had no problems with the install
and didn't realize I could have problems or I wouldn't have chose to
install Fedora Core Development. Now I'm just surprised I can't find any
information on Fedora Core Dev/s390. I need to set up Tomcat and Java. Here
is the path to the Fedora's s390 site that updates regularly. It appears
there's development going on with many of the packages -
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/s390/

If there's any more information you think I should include, let me know. I
can't really write a dissertation because the install went so well.

Thanks,

Tim Stalker

             "Post, Mark K"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             Sent by: Linux on         LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
             390 Port                                                   cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             IST.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Re: Fedora Core Development

             03/08/2005 09:50
             AM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

Tim,

Which FAQ are you talking about?  If you have a pointer for that, I'd like
to take a look at it.

I was not aware of anyone who was running Fedora on the mainframe.  Some
time ago, Alan Cox recommended against trying it, because it receives
little
or no testing on the mainframe, and he had doubts the installer would work
at all.  If you got it to work, a short dissertation on how that was
accomplished would be a nice addition to the archives.

I would start with these packages:
httpd-2.0.53-5.s390.rpm
tomcat5-5.0.30-1jpp_1fc.noarch.rpm
When you install them, RPM should tell you of any requisite packages that
also need to be installed.

For the Java piece, you'll probably have to get IBM's Java:
http://www6.software.ibm.com/dl/lxdk/lxdk-p
You'll need to register if you haven't already, but there is no cost to do
that, or to download the software.

If you really want something that looks like Red Hat, without having to pay
the price, check out Tao Linux, http://www.taolinux.org/  This is one of
the
Red Hat Enterprise Linux "rebuilds" that take the source RPMs for RHEL,
strip out any of the trademarked items, builds the binary RPMs, and then
distributes everything at no cost to you.  They have 31-bit (s390) and
64-bit (s390x) packages.