> I found the solution to the problem I had with an Oracle 10g
> installation.  By reading the full install manual for Oracle 10g for
> Linux x86-64, (several hundred pages, instead of the 20 or so pages for
> a quick install), I found that it seemed to need an entry in the
> /etc/hosts file.

> I didn't have one.

It is common, though not required, that statically addressed
hosts have their own address in /etc/hosts, with the hostname
statically configured somewhere else.  It is also common,
though not required, that servers be statically addressed.

(snip)

> I have a documentation folder for each Linux image I've created.  I
> don't have any entries on me creating entries in the 'hosts' file.

Where is the hosts own IP address configured?

> Is entries in the /etc/hosts file, really required?
> Or is it "older" technology, that normally is replaced by some other
> function?

Well, not until the network is running.  I do remember one system
that tried to start NFS before DNS, with the solution being to
change the order that they were started.  Normally at least a
secondary nameserver should be nearby, if not local.  Is a
network access faster or slower than a disk access?

-- glen