This nailed it.  I ran the mkinitrd command tailored to my environment,
ran zipl, and IPL'd.  /dev/sda mounted on boot.

Big thanks.

-Matt

P David Schaub wrote:

Matt Gourley wrote:

I've run into an interesting issue with SLES 9 64-bit and zfcp and was
hoping someone here had an idea to fix it.  I've checked the archives
but saw nothing matching this.

I've got a 50G FCP LUN on device F100 attached to a VM named LINUX2.  If
I IPL SLES on LINUX2, zfcp discovers 0xF100 after /etc/init.d runs
through all its startup scripts.  I then need to log in as root to
manually mount /dev/sda1 to my mountpoint, which happens with no
trouble.  Since this is a test environment, this is not a big deal, but
when we move into production, this kind of intervention is less than
optimal.  (Call me crazy, but I'd like to avoid the 3am phone call to
mount a filesystem that should be mounted on boot.  :)  )  Any ideas?

You might try a mkinitrd to refresh the /boot/initrd file.  I had an issue a
few weeks back that DASD was added to an image but not recognized until late
in the bootup process.  Running:

cd /boot
mkinitrd  -k vmlinux-2.6.5-7.244-s390x.gz -i initrd-2.6.5-7.244-s390x
zipl

may fix the issue.  Make sure the DASD that you are expecting is accurately
identifed.  Also note that your version may differ from mine.

David

material.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any
attachments is strictly prohibited.   If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.

Matt Gourley
Systems Administrator
Pennsylvania State University
Administrative Information Services - Infrastructure/Sysarc
Rm 25 Shields Bldg., University Park, PA 16802
(814) 865-8726
[EMAIL PROTECTED]