> Now I have to really grumble at IBM...   Am I missing something or isn't
> that missing what should be a key part of the product?  Is it really
> reasonable that every single shop has to write their own init.d
> script????   Every shop expected to reinvent that wheel?  Surely they
> might anticipate that at least some shops might want to start Websphere
> at system startup time...

I agree that they should have supplied an INIT script,
even automation for wiring it into the currect run level(s).
BUT ... you might just try your hand at writing one.

These are well documented in LSB (Linux Standards Base).
The details there are somewhat encumbered for full compliance.
Otherwise,  the SysV INIT scheme is pretty slick and really easy:

        #!/bin/sh
        # sample INIT script for ... whatever
        case "$1" in
          start)
            # ... stuff to start the application ...
            ;;
          stop)
            # ... stuff to stop the application ...
            # ... or maybe just kill it directly:
            if [ -s /var/run/THISAPP.pid ] ; then
              cat /var/run/THISAPP.pid | xargs kill ; fi
            ;;
          restart)
            $0 stop 2> /dev/null
            $0 start
            ;;
          # ... there are others you should support ...
        esac

> Add to that the fact that many of the Linux installations on the
> mainframe don't have someone who speaks bash (at least not when they're
> getting started).  (We don't recall any option during the install to
> have it autostart - at least this level from this CD.)

Avoid BASH-isms when scripting.
I use BASH all the time,  but I strongly recommend that you
not get dependent on it in general.   No reason why your scripts
(even INIT scripts) cannot run equally well on Solaris, AIX,
HP-UX, even USS or OpenVM.

> So to the MVS sysprog I have three choices to offer them:
>   a. Follow IBM's advice and do it manually
>   b. Quick, in your "spare" time go learn bash scripts and write your
> own init.d script for /etc/init.d
>   c. Stuff it in /etc/inittab
>
> As much as b. is the "right" choice, I suspect c. will win almost
> everytime....

The problem with /etc/inittab is twofold:
First,  it ignores the whole SysV INIT logic that's been developed.
Second,  it makes installation/removal/upgrade that much more manual.

> </rant>
> Lee

I don't blame you.

-- R;