On Thursday 04 May 2006 01:03 pm, Joseph Temple wrote:

> Does anyone know how many of what class of servers are being used?   Also,
> my guess is that some sort of hybrid might be the answer.  That is some of
> the clusters may lend themselves to virtualization more than others,
> yielding variable leverage for different platforms.

I remember hearing that there are thousands (25k?) in the various computer
rooms, each one being a special design commodity item.  Technicians walk
through the rooms with carts, removing failed servers and replacing them with
new ones.  The old ones are just trashed - not worthy of an attempt to
repair.