From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Stephen Frazier
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 14:57
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Backup & Restore

DFSMS/VM is not required. It is a chargeable option on VM. I use DDR
that comes with VM to do
backups and restores. Many people consider DDR hard to use. That is why
there are so many commercial
products available. But you don't need them, if you are willing to learn
DDR and accept its
limitations. Several people on this list have written free front ends
for DDR to make it easer to
use. You might like them. I just use DDR. See the "CP Commands" manual.
The chapter on CP Utilities
tells all about DDR.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm trying to gather my options for backing up z/VM 5.2 & SLES 9 & 10
> guests to an IBM TotalStorage VTS. So far I've been able to deduce
that
> DFSMS/VM is required, though I'm still unclear as to whether or not
it's
> included with z/VM 5.2. There seem to be quite a selection of
commercial
> products available for VM & Linux, so the choices seem overwhelming.
I'm
> not sure which ones will fit my needs and which are overkill.
>
> Can any one point me to some resources (How-tos, redbooks and the
like)
> for someone who doesn't have years of experience in the mainframe
world?
> I've been responsible for a z/VM system for about a year, having taken
> over for someone else when they left the organization. I've had some
> training, but my real strength is in the Linux arena. What I want to
be
> able to do backups and restores of VM & all my Linux guests to the
> virtual tape system. Is this something that can be accomplished using
> OSS at free or low cost? Has anyone been down this road that can share
> their experience and wisdom?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Dave Keeton
> Linux Systems Administrator
> Enterprise Systems Group
> Oregon State Data Center
> (503) 373-0832

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390
or visit

Stephen Frazier
Information Technology Unit
Oklahoma Department of Corrections