> Is there a way to apply without using LDAP, or to issue a series of
> commands like passwd across multiple servers either through SSH or other
> method from a single server. Where should I point my "learning curve" to

There are - the cluster computing people have a pile of tools for issuing
the same commands on many boxes at once and they'll work for virtual
machines.

That said: LDAP is probably what you want to consider instead as its
designed for this sort of central management.

See: http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/dsh.html

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/execute-commands-on-multiple-hosts-using-expect-tool-part-iii.html