On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Bruce Hayden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's because, as Mark said, you're attached to a virtual device, and
> the "speed" doesn't have much meaning.  Any data flowing Linux to
> Linux within the same vswitch could flow much faster than a gigabit,
> but data flowing out the physical port is limited by the connection on
> that port.  The virtual NIC is only indirectly related to the physical
> port.

Or it could be slower because of the CPU cycles needed to drive the
virtual NIC and process the packets inside the Linux system. Doing the
right measurements and determine the bottleneck is not always trivial.
I have worked with one customer who was initially limited by the
bandwidth of a single OSA. When they switched to two aggregated OSA's
in a VSWITCH the extra throughput was about 20% because they now were
limited by CPU. But with the numbers at hand you can at least make the
trade-off and see whether the extra 20% is worth the cycles.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software