David,

Separating the addresses with just spaces worked for me.  The other
weekend the problem was with an OSA adapter in an LPAR.  A few days ago,
a cohort of mine had a similar problem with Hipersockets in a VM guest.
She fixed the problem by putting the addresses in the CHANIDS.

I just repeated the scenario with a Linux guest with hipersockets and
separating the addresses with just spaces worked for me.  (I did not
have an LPAR I could take down just now.  I had a guest under zVM that
had a hipersocket connection that I could play with.)

Let's try something.  Get into yast.  Edit the first address.
0.0.530.(I assume your addresses are 530, 531, and 532-not 531, 531,
532.  On our system the OSA's require three addresses.)  Put all the
addresses in the CHANIDS separated with just one space.  Finish up with
yast and get completely out of it.

Now cd /etc/sysconfig/hardware.  You will see one file for each device
on the system, including disk drives.  You should see one called
hwcfg-qeth-bus-ccw-0.0.0530.  When you cat that file, you will see a
line that starts with  CCW_CHAN_IDS.  That is where yast stuffs the
addresses you give it.  Check to see if that parameter has what you want
in it.

If you want to perform some further checking, another file that yast is
creating would be
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifconfig-qeth-bus-ccw-0.0.0530.  When you cat
that file, you see most of the other definitions that you put inside of
yast.

Ron

David Stuart wrote:
Hi Ron,

I saw the CHANIDS field yesterday, and I tried what you're suggesting,
separating the addresses with comma's (,) and spaces, but all I get is just the
first address showing as configured.

My addresses are 0.0.0531, 0.0.0531, and 0.0.0532.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Stuart
Prin. Info. Systems Support Analyst
County of Ventura, CA
805-662-6731
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Ron Foster at Baldor-IS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/14/2008 9:12 AM >>>

David,

I ran into problem 1 a couple of weeks ago.  This appears to be a change
that happened with SP2.  Previously I had been able to define an OSA
connection by picking the first address.  For example, I could pick
0.0.0600 and YAST would know to pick up 0.0.0601 and 0.0.0602.  With
SP2, as you noticed, you cannot do that.

Then I noticed something.  When you choose 0.0.0600, on the very next
panel that pops up, you will see a place to put CHANIDS.  If you put all
three of your addresses in that place, things seem to work.  That is I
would put 0.0.0600 0.0.601 and 0.0.0602, and did the rest of the
customizing, the OSA adapter would come up.

Since you are setting up an LPAR, you will need to be able to see the
operating systems messages on the HMC to verify that things worked.

Ron

David Stuart wrote:

Morning all,

<newbie on>

Yesterday I completed a new install of SLES 10 SP 2 into an LPAR. During the
install, I defined one OSA-Express port, and it appears to be working fine.
However, I have several networking related nuisances and questions.

1)  How do you define a second OSA-Express port?  I tried defining it using
YAST, but the OSA-Express is running QDIO, and YAST seems to treat each
individual address as a separate network card, rather than using the three
required for QDIO.  I chose a network type of QETH.  I didn't see anything
specific to QDIO, but thought QETH was probably the closest.

2)  Novell Customer Center - We have a proxy between our internal network and
the internet.  I configured the proxy, and the 'test connection' says that it
works ok, but when I try to 'register', check for patches, etc.,  it says that
it can't connect.

And that's enough for so early in the morning.

</newbie on>

TIA,

.