Hi,

Sorry about earlier post.  I am still not used to this Blackberry.

We have three LPARs running Linux.

You should be able to use the install CDs as a rescue system to fix up
the initrd and do a zipl.  (I actually define a virtual machine under
zVM, and use the install CDs under zVM, but I have performed the
procedure in LPAR mode before we had zVM.)  You access your newly
restored drives.  Mount the filesystems. chroot into the newly mounted
filesystems. Do a mkinitrd.  Do a zipl.  Exit from the chroot. Unmount
all the filesystems.  Start up Yast install process.  Abort yast install
process.  Then end the install program.

More details

0. Migrate your system.
1. Boot the install CDs like you are going to perform an install.
2. Putty into system
3. Load the dasd device driver
   modprobe dasd_eckd_mod
4. Vary the dasd devices online
   dasd_configure 0.0.0100 1 0
  The 0100 is the device address.   The 1 says vary online
   Repeat for each drive.
   (You could use yast to do this by going far enough into
    the install to activate the drives.)
5. Verify that you have them all online
   cat /proc/dasd/devices
6  We have use lvm, so we have to load the lvm drivers
   modprobe dm-mod
   modprobe reiserfs
   /sbin/devmap_mknod.sh
7. Activate the volume groups.
   vgscan
   vgchange -a y
8. Mount all your filesystems.
    Our procedures mount them to /mnt

9. chroot into the newly mounted filesystems
   chroot /mnt

At this point, it is as if you are running off the
migrated drives.

Now you can do a mkinitrd and a zipl.  This
will cause the proper drives to be varied on
at IPL.

It may be necessary to fix up fstab depending
on how your mounts are done.

10.Once you are ready, then you can exit out of
chroot
   exit
11. Unmount the filesystems
   umount -a
12. Shutdown lvm
   vgchange -a n
13. Start the yast installer.
   yast
14.  Go far enough into it to abort the install.
15. Answer the prompts from the installer to "power off" the lpar.

This procedure originated with SLES9.  There may be other ways to do
this with SLES10.

As I said earlier, sometimes I create a virtual machine under zVM and
dedicate the LPARS
drives to it.  This allows me to use the install CDs under under zVM to
access a system that
is not any shape to boot.

Hope this helps,
Ron

Lee Stewart wrote:
Hi all,

We are migrating Linux CKD DASD to a  new DS8100.   We have two
bare-metal (LPAR) linux server's running.  (no z/VM).
One is SLES8 and one is SLES10.

For the SLES8, I plan to:

1.  vi /etc/zipl.conf and change the DASD=  to the new devices
2. zipl
3. mkinitrd
4. shutdown
5. migrate dasd
6. startup sles8 server

(Does that look OK?)

But for the SLES10 system, we are not using DASD= in zipl.conf
How do I make the device numbering changes for SLES10 ?
(I know that I can still use zipl.conf dasd= and I think it will use
that...but not sure if that's the recommended way)...

Thanks,
--

Lee Stewart, Senior SE
Sirius Computer Solutions