Hi all,

We just bought some dasd storage specifically for z/VM and for the z/Linux
underneath.

This is the time to decide what model to use 3/9/27… Originally I thought
"the bigger the better".

We are using DIRMAINT to manage dasd space and now I am not sure what is the
best approach.

Here are my thoughts about large models:

1.       I am concerned about fragmentation. Using model-3 I could just play
around with full disks not worrying about fragmentation (meaning – adding
storage to a Linux guest will add a full model-3)

2.       I am concerned about IOSQ time. I know z/VM supports static PAV but
that is just not comfortable… We don't have Hyperpav yet…

3.       Using big minidisks will make cloning difficult, (I must have the
same big gaps available for cloning).

Here are my thoughts about model-3:

1.       Many Many device addresses…

Am I missing something? The more I think about it the more I believe that
model-3 is the correct answer…

Can you please help me out here?

Thanks,

Offer Baruch.