You're right....It is only on the Oracle machines.

And /var/log/messages shows:

n[2636]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_limits.so)
n[2636]: PAM [error: /lib/security/pam_limits.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
n[2636]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_limits.so
n[2636]: Module is unknown

And then looking at /etc/pam.d/login:

linux63:/etc/pam.d # cat login
#%PAM-1.0
auth     required       pam_securetty.so
auth     include        common-auth
auth     required       pam_nologin.so
account  include        common-account
password include        common-password
session  include        common-session
session  required       pam_lastlog.so nowtmp
session  required       pam_resmgr.so
session  optional       pam_mail.so standard
session  required       /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session  required       pam_limits.so
linux63:/etc/pam.d #

Anyway, that is what was in the Oracle 10g documentation.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Mauro Souza <thoriu...@gmail.com> 1/30/2009 2:53 PM >>>
I had this issue after tunning a system to install Oracle. I believe it's
related to PAM modules. If you're able to logon via SSH, you can get rid of
the changes in limits.conf.
In /var/log/messages maybe there's some messages telling you what kind of
module is missing...

Mauro
http://mauro.limeiratem.com - registered Linux User: 294521
Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.