-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Rob
van der Heij
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 5:30 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: swappiness & drop_caches ?

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:16 PM, r.stricklin <b...@typewritten.org> wrote:

> I'm pretty unhappy with the way Linux has been managing memory,
> especially w/rt the block caches being allowed to page out process
> data. I was hopeful that we could affect some semblance of sane
> behavior by twiddling vm.swappiness.

Yes, you should be able to, like Marcy experienced. If you can
determine the setting.
As I understand the motivation for swappiness was the other way
around. Desktop users would want to protect some of the cache and swap
out some unwanted stuff.

> My experience doing so, however, was that it opened us up to
> situations where I would start to see processes get pranged by the out-
> of-memory desperation kill "feature", even though there was quite a
> bit of memory still sitting unused.

You mean "unused" as "free" tells you, or what you think would be
available when it would give up page cache and/or buffers?  If it's in
page cache then it could be that it really needed it, or that pages
were dirty or not written out fast enough?
And you were not playing with CMM? I do recall an issue with CMM where
the pages in the balloon were incorrectly believed unused and thus no
replenishment was triggered.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij