I'm not sure about this, but if you don't care who gets authorization for
VSWITCH, then just automate the process for everyone.

For example, when ever you update the directory and DIRECTXA it.  Have a little
REXX program also kick off to scan all "USER " cards, take the second word on
that statement and do a GRANT for that user.  If you use DIRMAINT, do a "DIRM
GET USER DIRECTORY" after updating and execute the same REXX routine.

Also, execute the routine as part of AUTOLOG1 to reissue the grants at IPL time.

My point is that it is an easy enough workaround.  And would be much quicker
than getting IBM to channel resources into a request that is needed by few (or
1) licenses.

In my case, I do grants for vswitch for 20 machines at a time.  Right now, I'm
done for LINUX6X and LINUX7X machines.  (I'm only up to LINUX69 which is a test
DB2 Connect Server Edition machine).

But then,  I also do the Linux installs, and I'm prompted for vswitch
authorization by my documentation.  Just like the CREATE DIRECTORY in SFS, the
GRANT AUTH in SFS for the install software, updating the user direct, etc.  All
just a part of the initial machine configuration.  I agree that one less step
is one less step to forget/mess up....but that's what we get paid for. <G>

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> RPN01 <nix.rob...@mayo.edu> 4/21/2009 12:58 PM >>>
The problem is that not everyone wants to purchase an external security
manager simply to get this feature. We have no need for an ESM, as, if one
of our four users get out of line, we can just walk over to their cube and
whack them with a board. I'm not buying an ESM to un-secure a single entity
in an already closed box. That makes no sense at all.

No humans use the box directly, and we grant the vSwitch to just short of
every virtual machine that uses the box. To have to go through the grant
process, no matter if it is in the CP directory, in System Config, or in
Autolog1, for every new machine that gets created, and to open the door for
human error by forgetting to grant this resource, which needs to be
available for everyone on the system, seems at best to be an oversight on
IBM's part.

ESMs are not the solution to this problem. Sorry.

--
Robert P. Nix          Mayo Foundation        .~.
RO-OE-5-55             200 First Street SW    /V\