I don't think UDB uses zIIP engines.  They use IFL engines.  Performance seems
to be good, especially over hipersockets.

Tom Duerbusch
------Original Message------
From: David Boyes
Sender: Linux on 390 Port
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
ReplyTo: Linux on 390 Port
Subject: Re: DB2 Connect and Linux on Z
Sent: Jun 10, 2009 12:25 PM

> We are new to the Linux world and have been developing Linux servers on
> our Z9. We are thinking of setting up a DB2 Connect Linux on a Z server
> with Hypersocket connection to out DB2 database which is on one of our
> zOS lpars.  Does anyone know if the performance is going to be
> compatible to the DB2 Connect running on a solaris server where the
> connection is Ziip eligible.  I have been told that if the DB2 connect
> runs through Hypersockets it is no longer Ziip elegible.  Forgive me if
> I seen to not be making sense.

I'm not sure I understand the question. ZIIPs serve only workload actually
performed on z/OS, AFAIK (although I have some ideas about how to change
that...). The only part of a transaction involving a non-z/OS client that would
ever be ZIIP-eligible is the actual lookup/marshalling of the data done inside
DB/2 on z/OS.

If I understand what you're asking, then the two systems (Solaris and Linux on
Z) attempting to execute the same query via DB2 Connect against a zOS DB2
server would receive exactly the same treatment; there's nothing special about
Solaris vs Linux clients in this scenario. That would apply to any
network-based client, whether using hipersockets or any other transport.
Workload running directly on z/OS accessing z/OS DB2 would benefit more from
the ZIIP because the DB2 and z/OS code knows it's there and can exploit it more
effectively.

Am I totally misunderstanding you?

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T