On Thursday, 07/22/2010 at 11:34 EDT, Barton Robinson
<bar...@vm1.velocity-software.com> wrote:
> So the biggest announcement of the year, i'm on my second pot of coffee,
> and there's still only one post about this? Is this a non-event?

Kind of hard to talk about the enhancements in support of zEnterprise
until folks get up to speed on it, but here are the pending z/VM
enhancements.

Of interest for zEnterprise (6.1 only):
- Support of internal management network and internal customer data
network
- Support for management using the Universal Resource Manager as a member
of an ensemble

Of interest to everyone (5.4 and 6.1, except as noted):
- Guests can now use secure-key CPACF functions
- CP can do XRC timestamping of I/O.  This includes support of STP for XRC
purposes.
- Improved HyperSwap capabilities
- "Uplink" support in VSWITCH.  A guest can be defined as the uplink
instead of an OSA.  A powerful enhancement to enable z-resident firewalls
in a VSWITCH configuration, and an important component of the support for
the zEnterprise System.
- Ability to turn off CP memory management 'reorder' processing
- Ability to coalescence empty page frames when needed
- Improved SSL server performance and capacity (watch for Red Alert -
migration required)
- SSL upgrade to use z/OS 1.11 version of System SSL (6.1 only) and
support for FIPS (not yet certified)

Statements of Direction:
- Single System Image with Live Linux Guest Relocation
- Common Criteria certification of z/VM 6.1
- Withdrawal of VM TCP/IP DNS server
- Withdrawal of the RESOURCE option on VMFINS

Enhancements will be delivered September through December.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott