From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Marcy
Cortes
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:26 PM
To: LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] IBM zEnterprise System announced???

If the hw+sw combo is cheaper than nehalem intel as the webcast suggested, that
is huge.

Too many people only look at HW/SW and think that that is TCO because the rest
is too difficult to calculate (or they are politically motivated not to count
the other stuff).

I would think the increased memory and lower costs would make it a great place
to consolidate all of your distributed DB2 for example, which probably isn't
the best thing to run on VMWARE due to the i/o intensiveness.

The zBX stuff is interesting, although I can't think of much we'd do with it at
the moment.  Of course, it isn't fully baked with a date farther out in the
future that the z196 itself.

Too bad that SSI couldn't have been a GA anno instead of a SoD :(

Marcy

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you
are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must
not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any
information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise
the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for
your cooperation."