On Wednesday, 02/16/2011 at 04:53 EST, Marcy Cortes
<marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> Why is it a cool thing to do?  Doesn't it make more sense to use
whatever every
> other Linux/unix box in your shop is using?    All those other people
may get
> cranky if you make them get a CMS id to login to Linux or to use a web
app.

> Unless you have no Linux or Unix in your shop and only CMS and no other
> centralized directory...

Yeah, it's not about kewlness.  It's most useful for those installations
whose Linux admins are also z/OS or z/VM admins.  While you can use the VM
or MVS LDAP server to centralize authentication, you could also just use
another Linux guest.

And some like the fact that the LDAP server on VM and MVS is not the same
implementation as on Linux (openLDAP).  So a vuln in Linux does not imply
a vuln in VM or MVS.  In this scenario it isn't necessary to give them a
virtual machine; it's only necessary to have credentials in the ESM or
LDAP.  But you have to do more work in your provisioning system to ensure
you don't unintentionally create a virtual machine that matches the user
name.  But watch out.  SFS allows you to enroll users that don't have a
virtual machine.  You can authenticate via FTP even if you don't have a
virtual machine.  Extra work is required to lock such remote-only users
out of your VM or MVS resources.

It's also fair to ask why you would have an inboard directory server in
the first place.  I see it in some DR/failover-sensitive configurations
that want to be able to operate without having to drag the corporate
AD/LDAP infrastructure with it.  The same reason people still use virtual
routers on their Guest LANs with dynamic routing -- all self-contained.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices