On Wednesday, 02/16/2011 at 03:54 EST, Donald Russell
<russell....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Before I go off to investigate what it would take to write one... is
there
> already a PAM module for zLinux that will accept a userid/password and
> authenticate it against the VM host it's running on?
>
> For example...
> I have zLinux (RHEL) running on lpar VMA.
> I also have a bunch of CMS users on VMA.
>
> I would like users to be defined on the zLinux system but let them use
their
> current VMA/CMS userid/password to logon to zLinux.
>
> Seems like a cool thing to do. :-)

Yes, via LDAP.  You will need to set up RACF and the VM LDAP server.
Google it and you will find presentations from me, Rich Smrcina, and
others on the subject.  You will also find z/OS-related documents that
talk about IBM Tivoli Directory Server (ITDS) and remote authentication
via LDAP.  Those docs are good, too.  z/OS ITDS and the z/VM LDAP server
are the same entity with the same configuration requirements.

You can even map their Linux user name to a different VM user ID.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices