Do you IPL Linux directly in the virtual machine, or do you IPL CMS first?
SWAPGEN is a CMS exec which defines the Swap space using CMS commands,
before you IPL Linux from within CMS. IPLing CMS first gives you a chance do
preface the Linux IPL with some intelligence, such as defining the vDisk
swap space and checking to be sure that the Linux guest isn't running on any
other z/VM system first, before IPLing it where you are. It can also do some
accounting or anything else you'd like in CMS before starting the Linux
system.

If you IPL Linux directly, then you need to add the mkswap to your start-up
there, so that it can happen each time as the system comes up, without the
need for CMS and its tools. Either way will work equally well.
--
Robert P. Nix          Mayo Foundation        .~.
RO-OC-1-18             200 First Street SW    /V\