> And that mindset is how you wind up with excessive server sprawl.  In almost
> every case, a single application running on distributed hardware is going to
> look cheaper than running on Linux on System z.  The question is, which
> part(s) of the server farm _could_ be run on z/VM or some other
> virtualization platform, would they meet their business objectives in that
> environment, and would there be sufficient cost savings to justify the more
> expensive hardware?

The question is when does an extra 1U PC box become cheaper. I can put
128GB into a pair of cheap x86 boards. Thats a lot of memcached space and
I wouldn't like to imagine the price of that on  a z/VM box.

You can certainly plot ownership cost curves including licensing, power,
etc for your workload set and I don't doubt some of it looks better on
each - especially if you are required to have the big box for another
workload so it's a sunk cost anyway.

Another thing not touched on much yet of course is reliability. It's easy
enough do to high reliability with bulk PC hardware but it's a slightly
different cost model (especially with a low number of systems) to doing
typical 'internet grade' reliable.

> Not every workload is a good candidate for running virtualized, whether on
> z/VM or something else.  Not every workload is a good candidate for System z,
> virtualized or not.  As I said previously, picking the right tool for the job
> is more complex than most people want to have to deal with.  But if you're
> not going to paint yourself into a corner, the bigger picture needs to be
> considered for every workload that gets deployed.

Indeed - but the bigger picture for z/VM here is probably bigger than the
one being asked. memcached is a huge win because PC memory is cheap to buy
(under $4 a gig) but while the I/O subsystem on a typical PC class machine
is extremely cheap ($0.05 a gig), it compared to the processor is very
very slow.

So the question when deploying on a box with very fast I/O is IMHO not
"should I put memcached on that box" but "do I need memcached on that
box" - and also if the cache can be a lot smaller as a result.

Alan