On 17 May 2013 01:55, Suthammanont, Alex C <
alex.suthamman...@bankofamerica.com> wrote:

> Mike & Rob,
> That is not what I see at my end. Below are sample of RHEL 5.9 and RHEL
> 6.3.
> In both cases, the number of cached from the 'free' command matches to the
> number of cached found in /proc/meminfo. Strange but true..

You did not show the "SwapCached:" entry from /proc/meminfo in your output.
If that is 0, I could still be correct to expect that "free" shows us the
sum of Cached and SwapCached.

I don't see what Mike's slab reclaimable would have to do with this, unless
some ambitious soul tried to stuff 3 numbers into one and hoped to do us a
favor. After all, some look at the 2nd line in "free" for what they could
available when it has to be, so by sneaking other numbers into the "cached"
value you find that "free" will include that into the "+/-" cache numbers.
Wish even more I had the time to investigate. From earlier experiments in
http://zvmperf.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/the-nocache-approach/ I still have
tools that tell me *which* files are in cache, so we should be able to get
the picture right...

Rob