Thank you Mark, and Alan, and Gregory...

I think our problem is going to be more one of boredom rather than
encountering insurmountable problems, as DDR plods its way through
several hundred volumes. Originally I thought we were going to have to
cope with changing device numbers on the new system, which I believe
would have posed a much more interesting problem, but I think I've
managed to persuade the storage admin that this simply isn't practical.
In any case, it looks as though I will have plenty to occupy my time
between now and the new year.

Thanks again,
Ray