From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Mrohs,
Ray (JMD)
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 3:05 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Status of VDISK after swap space usage

Hi,
Our environment consists of SLES 11.4 servers under VM 6.2.

Sometimes we have misbehaving Linux applications that dip heavily into the
SWAPGEN configured swap space. After things settle down, Linux never lets go
of the space until we issue a swapoff -a, and swapon -a. Of course I do this
after making sure that we have sufficient free memory available in that
server. The reported swap use then effectively returns to zero. But it seems
like nobody tells VM because the VDISK being retained in memory for that
virtual machine, as reported by Velocity, is consistent with the maximum
swap space that was used, something on the order of 190K pages, and it never
decreases even though the Linux swap use stays at zero. Does VM ignore this
until it hits a memory use threshold, or does Linux not clean up well after
itself, or maybe we are missing something else? We are trying to avoid a
"just reboot it" action.

This is our typical swap disk entry in fstab:
/dev/disk/by-path/ccw-0.0.0105          swap                 swap
defaults              0 0

Ray Mrohs
Lockheed Martin Corporation
Service Delivery Staff