We use stand-alone dump. Need's to be set up but you can do that from another
guest. It will stop your server when you IPL it though. See the correct edition
of Using the Dump Tools
on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3
http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/dw/linux390/docu/les3dt02.pdf

I don't see one for SP4. You might want to talk to SUSE first, though.

Sent from my iPhone