Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 19:54:44 +0000
From: David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Oracle on VM

I gotta say that the option Tim Sipples, proposed of running Oracle in a=20

zOS guest under VM is a bit more practical than running Oracle 7, I just=20

find it fascinating that Oracle appears to have abandoned VM, but not MVS.

Oracle had (and I suppose, still have) some large customers on z/OS, and that's DB/2's
sweet spot. Being able to stick it to their biggest competitor is always a plus, and the
enterprise agreements that were in place at the time with a lot of those customers for
all platforms made Oracle much more attractive back then. If the OpenSolaris thing had
worked out, we'd be in a very different place today. DB/2 VM's "poor stepchild"
status really made it viable only as a VSAM replacement when IBM took CMS VSAM support
out behind the barn, at least for the CMS compilers that still existed at the time.

Tim's idea would be useful if z/OSe was still actively marketed by IBM -- this was really
exactly the kind of thing it was meant to do. I don't think IBM ever really got that
message across to the z/OS customer base, though -- that was back in the "LPAR uber
Alles" for z/OS virtualization days, and IBM (with some help) has bought a clue on
VM and running production guest operating systems since then.

A full z/OS license at current prices just for creating appliances would be difficult to
make work in a cost-effective manner, even if you stuck to IBM-only software. There's a
lot of moving parts, and Oracle prices on z/OS reflect the "normal" z/OS
marketplace pricing levels. It wouldn't be hard to do (would probably take us a couple
weeks to do it), but it would be tough to make it worth someone's while to create and
support it with no contractual backing from Oracle or IBM.

Kindest Regards,

☮ Paul Flint
(802) 595-9365 Cell

Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgement in response to this note.

Paul Flint
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT
05641