> From:    Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com>
>To be clear, I'm not asserting that my idea is "useful." I'm just answering
> the question, that's all. The range of new use cases for Oracle Database
>10g R2 for z/OS on z/VM is likely to be extremely limited at best,
>especially given that Oracle Database 12c for Linux on z/VM is available.
>I'm still not sure why "pretend Linux doesn't exist..." is part of the
>need/desire/curiosity. z/OS and Linux both exist, and thrive.

I would tend to agree that a CMS version of Oracle is probably a no-go. I think
the fundamental issue is that the Linux version is still fairly unaware of the
VM environment, and the controls supplied for Linux VMs compared to CMS or even
z/OS in VMs are still pretty primitive. Evolving, but limited as of yet. I
suspect that Docker will revisit the business case for instrumentation in the
mainstream world, and we’ll eventually get to VM/SP-level controls by z/VM’s
60th birthday. 8-)

>Last I checked, zNALC z/OS with a reasonable set of optional z/OS elements
>had/has a U.S. commercial price starting at about $125/month, including
>standard IBM Support (24x7 Severity 1).

Would you buy a toaster that cost you $1500 a year to own? Plus the Oracle
license? Thought not.

> For prospective OEMs, I don't know,
>but give your friendly IBM representative a call if you'd like to explore
>something.

Given that you and Alan are the closest thing we’ve seen to an IBM rep in the
last 10 years that wasn’t a printer repairperson, it might be a bit challenging
to actually find one … but, been there repeatedly, done that repeatedly, have
all the t-shirts, and made IBM a metric boatload of money in the process. If
someone wants an appliance, call Neale. He’s in charge of gratuitous miracles
this month.  (