(sighs)

"It depends"...

1) On the kind of workload (compute vs I/O)
2) Requirements for reliability (look at Appendix A? from "Linux for the
S/390")

There is no simple answer to this.  I suspect there are some benchmarking
tools that will help.

The zSeries is AT LEAST 5 9's hardware.

Because Windows runs on Intels, seldom do they need to consider much better
than 9 5's reliability.  (smirks)

(All right, so I got the 9 5's from a Tandem guy while he sneered at the
big Solaris boxes I dealt with.  There are reasons the Intel version of
Solaris (now defunct) was jokingly referred to as "SloLaris".)

A mainframe CPU provides:

a) Maximum reliable single-thread compute performance;
b) Maximum I/O connectivity; and
c) Maximum I/O throughput.

On an I/O intensive workload I do not see an intel as being competitive.
(Back in the early 1980s I saw an attempt to use a sort of 1M records
comparing a top-end Tandem 32bit system (48 cpus) against an overloaded
Sperry 1100/82 (as a 1x1) and, even with one arm tied behind its back, the
1100 smoked the Tandems...  but, then, while an 1100 is better at compute
workloads, the I/O system was designed to be more than merely "competent".)

The channel architecture, after the S/360, became surprisingly common;  I
saw it in Xerox Sigma series systems as well as the Sperry UNIVAC 1100
series;  This came as a shock to someone comfortable with the DECsystem-10
and related systems.  And, yeah, I have hand-assembled and toggled programs
into an idle Sigma 9.

For a compute workload?  The Intel, at least, can compete pretty well.
While a zSeries is no slouch at numerical processing, I'm not sure, but I'm
partial to pSeries (I supported AIX for over 10 years) so...

(chuckles)

IIRC most of the folks doing heavy computing-- like Bitcoin mining-- use
the display adapter's GPU for the heavy lifting, which leaves the zSeries
at a disadvantage.

So, like I said above, "it depends".

What's the workload?

What do you need the most "heavy lifting" for?

Mind you, if you need to run multiple instances on the same IFL, well,
you're going to have to minimize CPU overcommitment.

There is a reason why, inside IBM, if you use the WHATIS bot to ask "what
is bfi" it wiill return, with other answers:

    Big "Fast" Iron

If you're an IBMer, look up A2C2E and P2C2E.  I even provided a "polite"
definition for RTFM.

So a lot "depends".

-soup

--
John R. Campbell         Speaker to Machines          souperb at gmail dot
com