On 07.11.2017 23:04, John Campbell wrote:
> 1) On the kind of workload (compute vs I/O)
> 2) Requirements for reliability (look at Appendix A? from "Linux for the
> S/390")
>
> There is no simple answer to this.  I suspect there are some benchmarking
> tools that will help.
>
> The zSeries is AT LEAST 5 9's hardware.

Does that matter in today's world? Would you avoid building for failure
when a lot of the failure comes from software anyway? Do you then host
multiple Linux VMs on the same iron to account for that? If so, why
can't that scale horizontally?

> Because Windows runs on Intels, seldom do they need to consider much better
> than 9 5's reliability.  (smirks)

That's not how reliability works.

> A mainframe CPU provides:
>
> a) Maximum reliable single-thread compute performance;

Fair. Although I suppose POWER8 comes close?

> b) Maximum I/O connectivity; and
> c) Maximum I/O throughput.

Depends on your storage rack and connectivity, doesn't it?

> On an I/O intensive workload I do not see an intel as being competitive.

If you look at, say, Google Compute Engine with Local SSD[1] it has some
pretty impressive IOPS numbers. Yes, it's not replicated.

> IIRC most of the folks doing heavy computing-- like Bitcoin mining-- use
> the display adapter's GPU for the heavy lifting, which leaves the zSeries
> at a disadvantage.

I wonder what all these newfangled blockchain technologies use in the
backgrounds. (The ones that aren't currencies but "just" ledgers.)

> So, like I said above, "it depends".
>
> What's the workload?
>
> What do you need the most "heavy lifting" for?
>
> Mind you, if you need to run multiple instances on the same IFL, well,
> you're going to have to minimize CPU overcommitment.

I idly wonder how actual utilization of IFLs looks like in the field.
It's clear to me that CPs run hot because otherwise you're wasting
moneys. I.e. if overcommitment is just a fact of life like it is in the
cloud.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

ObNote: Although I work for Google as a reliability engineer I speak as
a private person who is curious about mainframes.

[1] https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/disks/performance