Truth

On Sat, 26 May 2018, Rick Troth wrote:

Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 11:44:31 -0400
From: Rick Troth <r...@casita.net>
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: cat herding versus trendy tech

On 05/26/2018 10:29 AM, Paul Flint wrote:
Greetings Truth (sp? :^),

Forgive my inability to spell.

[warning: next paragraph might render funny to some readers]

The name derives from olde English, "trowþ " (my favorite, love that
Icelandic thorn) or "trēowþ" or "trēowth" or "trɒθ", meaning commit,
engage, pledge. (Look it up in Webster's.) I pronounce it with a short
"o" like broth, moth, sloth. On the other side of the pond they'd use
the long "o" like both, oath, betroth (hah!). Many will have heard a
certain phrase spoken in weddings ... plight thee? Truth itself was
spelled "trīewþ" in the 14th century.

Nuttin wrong with your spelling, sir.

Are you suggesting that HPE may be the next purveyor of a distro with
magic sauce?

Not at all.
Many institutions have their own in-house Linux (or other systems). HPE
has ample need for embedded software, reference systems, and such as
justify a home-grown OS. They do not publish it. It runs on hardware HPE
cares ab out, thus it does not run on z, even though Debian runs on z.

HP/HPE have been Linux fans for a long time. Bdale Garbee (a pillar in
the Debian world) was a fixture there until a few months after the
split. So HPE Linux (or "hLinux") is a Debian spin.

Reference system ... I use hLinux for exactly that. Might lose access to
it since I do not work for HPE. (Better upgrade while I still have
access, eh?) I'm intrigued that it's a 64-bit system without the /lib64
and /usr/lib64 clutter. I DON'T KNOW if it magically supports 32-bit
apps from those 64-bit archives. (They would have to be mixed bitness.
Long story. Deep water.)

Most insightful and fascinating...

To you and to me, yes. I wish we could infect others with our
fascination. Some of it simply makes for good weekend conversation. But
some of it matters in business matters because it supports a foundation
of knowing what the [expletive deleted] is going on under the fluff and
hype of marketing and packaging.

Sincerely,

Flint

-- R; <><

Kindest Regards,

☮ Paul Flint
(802) 595-9365 Cell

Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgement in response to this note.

Paul Flint
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT
05641