I wanted to update everyone on our issue.  Here is the comment from my team
member who is working the issue.

I've isolated the problem to the disk copy using the dd utility rather than the
mount and update of the cloned root file system as I first thought.  I've found
that if I use the 'oflag=direct' option on the dd utility that it appears to
keep the I/O from overwhelming the DASD subsystem.  At this time we're talking
with the vendor about what the root cause of the I/O errors is.

Thanks..

Paul Feller
AGT Mainframe Technical Support