On Monday, 02/04/2019 at 04:38 GMT, "Will, Chris" <cw...@bcbsm.com> wrote:
> We have auto lun scan turned on for our SLES 11 SP4 hosts and it is on
by
> default for our SLES 12 SP3 hosts.  We are trying to insert a Cirrus
device
> which has the capability to discover LUNs and NPIV WWNs.  My very
limited
> understanding of the process, during the initial boot process (z/VM IPL)
it
> initially will report back no LUNs to the guest, logs into the storage
device
> and then reports back to the guest with the LUNs that are masked for the
NPIV
> WWPN.  This does not seem to give the SLES 12 guests issues but most of
the
> SLES 11 guests have issues.  Is there anyway for the guest to do a
retry,
> otherwise it ends up in emergency repair mode (setting we have in
fstab).

I've never heard of that design, Chris.  z/VM doesn't intercept FCP
operations by the guest, so CP doesn't report back anything to the guest.
I believe the physical fabric login occurs when the PCHID comes online,
and NPIV login (if used) occurs when the guest device driver (or CP, for
EDEVs) activates the subchannel.  Establishing paths to the target WWPN
and performing a LUN enumeration is under control of the guest.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM Systems Lab Services
IBM Z Delivery Practice
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323